PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coriolis vs Conservation of Angular momentum
Old 17th Dec 2020, 22:40
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
A swash plate does not impart an instant or impulse force to a rotor, it builds gradually as a result of turning a rotating motion into a vertical one because you have to change the pitch of the blade to make it climb or descend.
It’s true I’m not a helicopter expert, but please give me a little more credit than this. Just a few posts ago, I wrote virtually the same thing: “It's constantly transitioning through 1 sinusoidal cycle of force per rev, and not instant.”

The reason I pointed to the instant-impulse case was to show that the continued presence of a normal force is not required to continue the divergence of the tip path over the 90 degree phase difference; this was in response to another poster who was arguing that such a presence is required.

No gyros I have seen have hinges that limit how much the movement of the mass of the gyro can be transmitted to the hub - a rotor system does.
Here’s one, at 6:30 in. The gyro is a cardboard disk with a small hole on a pencil tip, free to swivel about 45 degrees (more than most or all helicopters). Within that range, it transmits no movement to the pencil, and he does a beautiful precession demo within about half of that range.

I’m not seeing the salience of this point, as the phase lag between the input and the resulting tilt of a heli rotor is all about the behavior of the rotor itself, and not any motion that it may or may not pass to the fuselage. I think it’s clear that that step happens with no phase lag - rotor disk tilts forward, helicopter goes forward with it.

Just because systems exhibit similar behaviours doesn't mean they have the same cause.
​Any way that I can see it, the cause here is the same as well. If it’s different, what’s the difference? What fundamental mechanic causes a gyro to behave like a gyro, that’s missing from a helicopter rotor that behaves like a gyro?

(This question isn’t answered by pointing to other mechanics there are present - I know there are many. Offset flapping hinges, delta 3, lead-lag hinges, oscillations of various orders both through hinges and elastic paths that interact in ways that blow minds… yes. I am asking about absence, not presence).