PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2020, 17:55
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Seems every state is now shutting out northern beaches LGA, straight after the AHPPC meeting, which seems alarming.

Hopefully this can be contained, NSW have done a fab job with contact tracing but this could go bad very quickly
It's already gone bad. From Victorias experience, if you have detected 17 cases, there are probably three times as many, unless all those cases are immobile nursing home residents. That means that the Sydney basin is already riddled with Covid, but you will need a week before you detect them. The folk from the northern beaches are, in general, reasonably affluent, mobile and are not going to alter their holiday plans willingly.

My prescription, which I doubt will be applied, because, well, it's Sydney, is the full Melbourne style lockdown complete with curfew, closures and masks. maybe in a month that would work. The only option for the rest of Australia is to close the state borders again, today.

On that subject, I was regaled yesterday with stories of 180 kmh races up the Newall Highway to get into Queensland before the last lockdown. The mine workers made it back from Victoria by two hours. My advice to interstate visitors in NSW is to get out today.