PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Left downwind’ in a right hand circuit?
Old 17th Dec 2020, 12:43
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Gittins
Meeting somebody going the other way can happen very easily at non-towered fields in the US with only a Unicom or CTAF. .......
Agreed Dave - and exactly the same for some of the small fields in the UK which may only have "Radio" or a FISO - or nothing!

But, in my case, it was in a busy ATZ, for a field which has clearly marked VRPs and you hold at the VRP until you get an onward clearance to join depending on which VRP you happen to rock up at. It's also surrounded by busy airspace so people transiting the area should be at least looking at the chart before setting off as there be Class A dragons here and there to breath "fire and MORs" at the unwary!!

It was the poor ATCO who, by the sounds of it, was about to raise yet another "infringement action" who asked if I'd got an ID for the interloper! And the cct was packed at the time so he probably passed 2 or 3 of us in his dash against "downwind" tho it sounds like I was the only one to see him as he flashed past!

PS And, no, I'm not going to say what the cct direction we were flying was! We've had enough confusion of "lefts" and "rights" already in this Thread!!! Let's just say I was "downwind"!!!!!!