PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Test flying the Winjeel in 1951
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2020, 02:32
aroa

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks. Worthwhile swap over
megan, re military
Not sure if they still do, but when I was an aspiring PPL trainee I used to wag it from school and spend long hours in the Library on North Terrace, Adlaide absorbing the piles of Crash digests of the USAAF and US Navy.
Such was the state of neurons in those days I could remember some interesting accidents, fatal and otherwise.
A couple that are still stuck there. Formation paIr of Crusaders approaching to land at an airfield, lost sight of each other in the finals turn. A main wheel of the higher one penetrated the canopy of the lower one and broke the pilot's neck. The upper guy landed ok after the bump only to find he'd been invoved in the death of his wingman .
F104 to depart on a cool desert morning. The pilot did his t/o distance calcs for all the existing parameters at that time. Serviceable issue delayed departure until afternoon when wind, temperature all changed .No revised data.! Take off distance required had hefty bank deficit in red before blast off, only to never get airborne and spear off into the scrub, wrongly.. Early models had a downwards ejector seat ! Bummer !!

The good old Safety Digests produced by BASI were really "gold" To learn by the mistakes of others.. Amen