PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Left downwind’ in a right hand circuit?
Old 16th Dec 2020, 09:37
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
The correct phrase is "JOIN (position in circuit)....", nothing else, you could use "CLEARED DIRECT..." or "PROCEED DIRECT..."
Though I know it varies region to region, I was trained to distinguish between an ATC instruction and an ATC clearance. A pilot is required to comply with an instruction, unless it is not possible, a clearance is not an instruction, though is usually to reply to the pilot's request, so compliance would be anticipated. So I would expect an instruction to JOIN the left downwind - not optional, infraction if not complied (unless I request a change, which is acknowledged). When I am CLEARED to land, that's not an instruction, I can overshoot if I need to. A variation of that I have received has been LAND TO HOLD SHORT (omitting the word CLEARED), so I expect to be required to actually land and stop prior to the specified point, or, say that I cannot comply (airplane type/winds/skill). My experience has been that a LAND TO HOLD SHORT instruction usually follows agreement that the pilot could comply, and is expedient to the pilot's benefit.

If what I have written above is in conflict with local/regional practice, of course do the local thing, but understand the nuance of an instruction compared to a clearance, in case it makes a difference, or favours your request....