PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rest in Peace Charles Elwood 'Chuck' Yeager
Old 16th Dec 2020, 06:04
rotorfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m fortunate to live about a day’s drive from Oshkosh, so for many years now, my only holiday would be spent there (yes, pathetic, I know). As a participant in the Young Eagles program, I would attend a luncheon workshop, and Gen. Yeager would drop by, being the honorary chairman for a few years. He was quite willing to just hang out with us mere mortals. I was able to get his signature on my Young Eagles cap.

It was not uncommon there to have a forum with Gen. Yeager and Col. Hoover both on stage, doing their “there I was...” stories. We could have listened for hours longer than the forums lasted. Though the details are getting foggy, I thought I recalled a story that Hoover was slated to fly the X-1 flight, but did something to get himself in trouble. Yeager got the honor instead, and the rest is history. (Someone with better details please correct me.) I sensed they were keen friends, and also keen rivals. I got to meet Hoover when he flew his Shrike in the local airshow, and found myself several feet behind him in a concession line. As I was an air show volunteer, I approached him to make sure he was aware of the performers’ lounge. He said he was, but was also getting something for friends there. I told him his money was no good here, and bought his meal. He looked gobsmacked and genuinely thanked me, as if that had never happened before. Then he signed that same Young Eagles hat. He was quite a gentleman. I have great respect for them both, and for their courage to push the edge, but I do regard Hoover as the better pilot.