PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coriolis vs Conservation of Angular momentum
Old 15th Dec 2020, 17:36
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dickmct
As crab said, Coriolis Effect is an apparent deviation. The bolt in his example departs in a straight line as there is no force acting on it to change its path; it is on a radial path to the tip plane; the blade tip was in line with it initially. However, by the time it reaches the tip plane the tip has moved so it does not arrive at the tip of the rotor blade but where it was at the moment of departure. A static observer watching from above will see the bolt on this straight, undeviating path. An observer at the rotor hub looking along the blade and rotating with it will see the bolt apparently lag behind the blade and seem to follow a curved route. CE is not a force and no acceleration occurs.

Conservation of Angular Momentum is the element that applies to a coning rotor disc and there is a mathematical explanation of it that I am not competent to give. The FAA manual is incorrect; I had some interesting discussions with the trainer on my gyro instructors course as he had based his teaching on that book.
I don't know (or care) enough about physics to know if what the FAA is telling me is correct or not. However, if you are correct in that the FAA is not, you should let them know so as to spare future generations of misinformation.