PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser Eye Surgery (again, sorry)
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2020, 12:40
create_it83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Typhoondriver
Get in touch with Professor Julian Stephens secretary at Moorfields eye hospital, arrange a private appointment and pay for the full examination from your own pocket (approx £300, very professional, seen by 3 experts and tested for about 90 minutes on various devices.) They'll tell you whether you are suitable for the surgery from a medical POV.
Then contact the Wg Cdr Ophthalmologist (Peterborough), send him a copy of your notes from Prof Stephens, and he'll do the RAF due diligence bit. Last I heard, you would expect to be unsuitable for flying duties (at least in FJ) for 6 months, although that number may perhaps change for multi crew environment.
Your initial consultation with Prof Stephens will probably involve a chat with him, he's a fascinating guy with plenty of good yarns to spin, especially about some of the close links he has made with various military units. I think he has a bit of a soft spot for UK Mil, and sometimes offers a very generous discount. He's widely considered to be one of the worlds leading experts, and helped with the introduction of laser eye surgery for USN Aviators. If you do consider one of the high street brands, do your research carefully.
Results were, and continue to be nothing short of exceptional. A real life changing move which I wish I'd taken earlier rather than messing around with combinations of contact lenses, glasses and NVGs etc
Another vote for JS. Interesting bedside manner, but clearly a thoroughly proficient surgeon with unparalleled experience. His discount was indeed generous. The process for Service review has changed slightly and there are other Ophthalmologists around the country who can help (mine was all done by phone/email).