PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 15th Dec 2020, 10:51
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
What's the bet that if you ask any current flying instructor in Australian flying schools the recovery technique they teach if a wing drops at the point of stall, invariably they will say "Don't use aileron but pick up the wing with rudder".
I get what you’re saying, but you’d lose that bet...

I am a current flying instructor, running my own school, and we teach the concept of “stalled stick position” and recovery through AoA reduction as the primary control input. Judicious aileron / rudder input accompanying it. Or... let go the stick - Beggs-Mueller has a dog in this fight!

In order to minimise height loss, set the elevator control just forward of the SSP to be unstalled (but with close to maximum lift) and apply power - thrust reduces height loss as well as AoA.

We have little hope when CASA promote stall awareness by monitoring airspeed as the primary indicator... just check out their newly released poster on the topic. How about learning where SSP is and understanding that forward of that is your “manoeuvre zone”, aft of it is stalled, and that flap for low speed / high AoA manoeuvre is not your friend (SSP moves forward as flap extends, thereby reducing manoeuvre margins).

Working in this space will keep me (and my team) busy for the rest of our careers - unf*#king what the sausage factories, aided somewhat by CASA, have produced!

Funnily enough the best solution is, in fact, the simplest!