PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser Eye Surgery (again, sorry)
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2020, 06:56
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 436 Likes on 230 Posts
I had lens replacements some years ago, due to sudden onset of cataracts in both eyes. Partly genetic and not unprecedented in my family, I later discovered.

After years of above average eyesight, then in my late forties a need for reading glasses, I unexpectedly failed the distance part of a CAA eye test and was advised to get a full eye check done with regard to getting different corrective lens specs. I did, got new specs and scraped through the CAA check. I later noticed a further degradation, especially when night flying so I went back to confirm I’d got the right type of lenses. The optician told me my prescription was correct but referred me to my GP because he could see signs of cataracts. Very worrying. Apparently I had what is known as “blue dot” cataracts, which begin at birth.

To cut a long story short, after my first cataract op, done on the NHS, the very same afternoon I was looking through our dining room window so my wife jokingly asked if I could now read my own car number plate (it was parked on the driveway). Not only could I do that, but I surprised both of us by also reading out the postcode of the supplier, printed at the bottom of the plate! The difference was remarkable.

The second eye op was done six weeks later. The improvement in eyesight this time was less pronounced, but this had been my better eye so that was expected.

The new lenses were optimised for distance vision (I was offered a choice). Because they have a fixed focus, I will always need reading specs. But I can still pass the Class One medical eye test and I’m in my mid sixties.