PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Left downwind’ in a right hand circuit?
Old 14th Dec 2020, 23:04
H Peacock

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
Not confusing at all - it was utter rubbish! You had your wits about you and queried things. You then, I presume, got on with it in the proper way. From the phrasing as you quote it, it doesn't sound like a qualified ATC to me by the way. Remember a qualified controller is never in charge of your aeroplane and never wants to be. So, never let your guard down because we all make mistakes, ATC no less.
I don’t agree with you there Fl1! Although context is very relevant, it was a perfectly reasonable bit of ATC-ing. The circuit was clearly RH, yet ATC wanted the joiner to position on the LH side for the join. If ATC knew there was unlikely to be any confliction with existing cct traffic turning Final at the same time (or base-leg if it was a square cct), then no issue whatsoever.

Regarding the phraseology, if ATC hadn't used ‘LH’ the the joiner would probably have (incorrectly) assumed they were meant to join RH downwind. Having frequently operated at one particular airfield with a normally RH cct, we have to fly a LH cct (wont bore you with why). We therefore specifically ask to join for “Two-two-left”, not just “Two-two” with the assumption that by not saying “right” it must be left. At another airfield nearby, due to vastly different cct speeds, they operate a mix of left and right-hand ccts for visual traffic - albeit we invariable include “north-side or “south-side” to confirm where we are!