PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 14th Dec 2020, 19:22
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for considering your reply for nearly a month Mr Trouser snake. The problem is that the licence doesn’t matter (a point you seem to have missed?) It is what you do with it. For many people it is a part of the necessary acquisition on the road to a career with airlines. In itself it isn’t the final hurdle. Unfortunately it is often projected and of course perceived as just that. There have long been “fast track” and invariably those were full time integrated routes, into airline apprenticeships. There have also been alternative “self improver” routes into airline careers. They often required jumping on “stepping stones” leading to the 2500-3000 hours that were traditionally required for those routes. When JAA brought in the 200/250 hour hour CPL, everybody and their dog thought it was the end game. Usually it wasn’t and this degenerated into the “modular/integrated” pseudo-argument that is so pervasive in this and similar threads. For those schools that were supplying the airline apprenticeship programmes the airline companies had to be satisfied with the output that then became their input.

There is no doubt at all in my mind that there are a great many excellent “modular” schools offering excellent programmes. However the basic CPL simply isn’t the golden ticket so many would hope it is as they use this “modular/integrated” argument to justify a determined pathway. I don’t care what it yields to the flight school, it is what it yields to the candidate. To that end I have indeed put my money where my mouth is and although the risk cannot be understated (as I have said for many years now) the result didn’t make me “ look silly” at all, indeed, far from it!