PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infamous metmen/women
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2020, 15:06
Ant T

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by langleybaston
Great!

In 41 years, and literally dozens of postings and nigh on a thousand colleagues, I never knew, or knew of, a single one who could play a musical instrument.
[Other than his/ her own trumpet.]
I found the met people at Rothera (British Antarctic Survey base) to be a very musical bunch. In particular - Will Lang, played bass in the band, (very well...), and that was not his main instrument. He also sang, and played keyboards, drums, guitar, better than most of us in the rest of the band, and I think his main instrument at home was brass (tuba?). Also, George Fell, who drummed in the band for a while and was also a very good guitarist, who I think had taught himself without being able to really see the guitar, while flat on his back after breaking his back in a kayak accident. He was a met observer at Rothera, who I think went on to be a forecaster, before moving on to being an outdoor activities instructor. And Adam Thornhill, also a very good drummer, also an observer who went on to become a forecaster - I met up with him again a few years later when he was posted to Mount Pleasant.
So maybe your colleagues weren’t quite as tone deaf as you thought . . .

Last edited by Ant T; 14th Dec 2020 at 15:52.