PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF ANG F-16 Missing in Michigan
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2020, 13:14
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with the 20-30 hr ninjas especially with modern fighter aircraft smart capabilities.

Another factor when you're dealing with ANG or USAFR mishaps like this one concerns whether the pilot was a part-timer, local or commuting, or a full timer, ART or Title something or other (don't recall the number) Active duty.

Generally part-timers flew fewer overall hours than full timers but were given scheduling preference when they were available. The gotcha is not the flight hours, but the crew rest requirements that were sometimes 'stretched' when the airline types would commute in the night before. For years it wasn't even an issue and generally overlooked, and at the 465th the majority of pilots were airline commuters. We never had any problems resulting from this in any unit I was in, but if there had been a mishap, the previous 24-48 hour look-back might have reflected unfavorably on the fingers crossed command style. Eventually some units went so far as to having the commuters provide signed accounts of the prior activities as a CYA measure before being cleared to fly. Jump seat commuter activities would have been easily researched anyway. I started out as a full-timer and eventually became a part-timer when I got a civvy flying job. But I was a local. Tulsa ANG way back in the F-100 days didn't allow commuters in the unit at all as a control measure, you had to be local.

Never flew combat or those demanding multiple AAR max time on station gigs, but my time in the F-16 started at age 43. Two BFMs a day and you were certainly tired with a fair share of neck and back aches. 50 hrs/mo let alone 75 in that machine might have done some permanent damage. Max I've done is 36 while in training.

BTW: IIRC max of 5 minutes total was allowed for taxi time each flight, so every 12 sorties you gained 1 hr of logged flight time. T-37 training sortie length was usually 1.3 to 1.4 hrs. Figure 1 hour of taxi credit in roughly 16 hours of actual flight. So out of 2800 hrs logged, 175 was taxi time. T-37 over the top maneuvers used 4 Gs, high speed dive recovery training maybe 5 Gs, but this was without a G-suit. I've been grayed out numerous times but never blacked out.

Last edited by OK465; 14th Dec 2020 at 13:34.