PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF ANG F-16 Missing in Michigan
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2020, 23:58
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A comment on flying time/currency.

After UPT, I got banished directly to the T-37 IP purgatory in Del Rio in the mid 60's. SEA requirements basically drove pilot production number requirements, not necessarily quality. Bar just set lower to fill those Phantom PSO backseats and provide B-52 co's. In time they'll get what they need as aviation 'interns'. (60 or so folks graduated each class for a long time).

As a T-37 IP we were technically 'limited' (gasp) to 75 hours a month, but could be waivered to 80 a month. I flew a number of 80 hour months (lot of 3 a calendar day flights, two day, one night), combination of volunteering 'cause there was nothing else to do in Del Rio and I enjoyed being in the air. Got 2800 IP hours in 4 years (holidays cut into flying time). I'll tell you what, 75-80 hours a month and there was nothing you couldn't handle, you were an aviation King Kong.....but occasionally you had the feeling you had just almost killed yourself.

.....however after a beer or two, those cool clean bedsheets felt like heaven and tomorrow was another day.

30 a month almost seems minimal to inadequate.