PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nukes in Europe
Thread: Nukes in Europe
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2020, 10:09
Case One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beardy
That's an interesting take on it.
Britain’s 1969 agreement to supply them with a plant capable of producing weapons grade Pu is what let them get their foot in the door. In the end they didn’t buy the plant, just critical components and training - and went a different route, but it’s where the crack began. Right from the start with the Manhattan project, politicians have shown a complete inability to think this very dangerous game out more than one move ahead. And that lack of intellectual ability and integrity is a very serious problem when you are dealing with city and world destroying technology. So as for the superpowers being no big problem, they very much are. They are the root cause.

Take another example mentioned here, Iran. That problem was caused by the UK and USA with Operation AJAX. We had no business doing what we did, and frankly Iran cannot be blamed for it’s nuclear ambitions given the USA’s continued attitude. The USA caused the problem and flatly refuses to accept responsibility or fix it. They just continue to attack Iran. Yes attack, because Iranians are dying. They have two choices, roll over at their mercy - I don’t think that’s likely to work well for them. Or defend themselves. Which would you choose? Again remember what the USA refuses to, they caused this. Sorry, it was a long time ago and they’re another small, unimportant country we’re all meant to forget about.

Why bring it up? Well now the USA tell us that China is the greatest threat to democracy since WWII. I nearly spat my coffee out laughing. And Biden tells us that there are rules and China must play by them. Well just imagine for the moment that China, the world’s oldest civilisation (4000+ years), and the USA (just over 200 years), the self-proclaimed “world’s greatest democracy” are two people having a conversation, it might go something like this:

China: “Hello child, what are these rules that you’ve written down, and please show some respect to your elders, I’ve just got out of hospital”
USA: “Shut up old man, sign here and do what you’re told.”
China: “Oh, I see you’ve brought your nasty uncle Britain with you. He’s one of the reasons that I was in hospital for so long. I think I”ll be having something to say to him later”

Seriously. Times are changing. Stop whining about China steeling jobs, we gave them to China because we were greedy as usual. Stop whining about China not following rules we drew up without them. Stop painting China as this huge villain when it’s very much the UK and USA that have been very, very naughty boys around the world for a very long time. Start trying to do the right thing. One of them is reducing nuclear risk by massive nuclear arms reduction.