PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cheapest flying schools in UK for PPL
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2020, 22:59
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
In my experience the amount of money you spend on your flying training is almost wholly related to how hard you work on your training. Unfortunately my experience is that many of the ones who wanted cheap training only wanted to achieve the absolute minimum standard to pass the flight test and were not willing to put the work in so that every flying hour was used to their advantage.

On my 15th Birthday my father gave me a PPL ground school kit which was basically worn out when I got 10 hours of flying training as my 16th birthday present. On the first flight my instructor and I walked up to the Cessna 150 and his first words were "this is the propeller". I said yes I know it is a McCauley 69/48 which means it has a diameter of 69 inches and a pitch of 48 inches. I still remember the look on the poor instructors face.

I was and am a total aviation geek but I was 100 % prepared for every lesson, did all my homework, chair flew all the exercises at home, and showed up for lessons with a written list of questions for my instructor .........and finished in exactly the minimum flying hours allowed for the license. When I became an instructor myself I did not see that level of dedication from many students and most students were not ready in the minimum hours.