PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New French CVA
Thread: New French CVA
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2020, 15:16
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
At the risk of talking more gash - the island looks to be part way between a Nimitz class and Ford class position, if smaller and further inboard than a Nimitz. The model has vehicles parked outboard, I believe the original plans for CVA-01 to 04 had a two island design but one of the reasons they were consolidated was to provide sheltered parking for deck vehicles. The model also has four FJs 'marooned' astern of the island. I wonder if la Royale has considered using that "solution in search of a problem" the Alaska Highway - I believe Winkle Brown was a fan arguing it allowed for better deck management and facilitated simultaneous launch and recovery.

I also recall reading/hearing somewhere Winkle saying he was a fan of the twin island design (probably dating from his work on CVA-01) - he may of course have been influenced by his relative lack of sea time.

Given their experience with CdG and the UK's with the QNLZ class I think 11 years from start of development to launch in '36, with the aim of allowing two years sea trials before replacing CdG, is very sensible.