PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 10th Dec 2020, 09:06
gpiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G1 raffee

There is not one answer to your question.
You are 18 so you are very young, you got plenty of years ahead of you and fortunately for you, you got more options available.

When I say options, I mean like enrolling in a 4 year Bachelors Degree, then later on maybe a Masters Degree or even get a job right after your graduate with your undergraduate degree build some experience, put some money on the side then do you pilot training and apply for a first officer job.

In a few years aviation will recover we just don't know when, so a safe bet is to do something else before your pilot training. On the other hand, you could go straight into pilot training after your graduate from HS and hope for the best.

Unfortunately the aviation industry is very dynamic, especially in EU, no one can predict when it will recover or collapse, this makes it very hard for ab initios to secure their first ever job, no one is going to put their head under the knife and give you a clear cut answer, it's a gamble and you have to decide what's best for you. No ones knows your financial state this is also another factor that your should take into account when deciding what to do, and I suggest you talk about it with your parents.

When it comes to a degree do at least something you enjoy, you can even go through a professional qualification like the ACCA for example instead of a degree, become a charter accountant save some money then do the rest. There are infinite possibilities, I got my first flying job when I turned 26, I wasn't that old but also I wasn't 18 or 20, so you are good with age.

I suggest you read my last post along with the replies I received from other more experience colleagues.

Last edited by gpiper; 10th Dec 2020 at 09:13. Reason: Typos