PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 9th Dec 2020, 19:04
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
As I said I don't like to discuss 447 because this topic will hijack the thread again. Since you asked
447 and 8501 although the result is same the situation is different. AF447 they hadn't undergone any training for UAS. In the ungodly hour of midnight over the Atlantic, in IMC, Airspeed gone they were not going to device a procedure. We are not birds so in the air we can act out of our training, learnt habits but if fear washes out the conscious layer there are no instincts to guide a human to safety. The speed was lost only for one minute. But the crew's cognitive ability was gone. They stopped seeing anything, they stopped hearing anything, they stopped feeling anything but just kept doing something with their hand that had nothing to do with present situation. The only chance they had was that they froze and didn't do anything. May be the Aircraft would have descended on its own and in warmer temperatures icing would have gone. If they could see altitude then why not they also feel the stall buffet, also hear the stall warning? There's no point 447 has been beaten to death.
I’ll start off by saying that AF faced a difficult situation, and we’ve all learned from their mistakes.

That said, the main point of this argument seems to be “they weren’t trained for that”. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If not, we face things for which we were not specifically trained every day. We depend on our skill and experience to resolve them. The PF was ultimately unable to recognise and recover from a stall. There’s only one way to fix that, and using a ton of automation most of the time, and only disconnecting after a thorough briefing in day VMC isn’t it.