PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - take off rev hold
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2020, 03:59
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stilton
Interesting ‘misinterpretation’ of what I said

This has been debated before, at length and on this forum

A 90 degree turn onto a runway requires 5 knots or so to complete or you’ll come to a premature stop, that’s hardly a formula 1 turn, as you align, engines can be spooled and you easily have 10 knots plus in the same spot you’re holding the brakes against power, shaking and juddering, making your passengers nervous
If you're relying on cutesy invented tricks to beat the test pilots' numbers, maybe it's time take a look again with an open mind at the other side of the debate.

If performance requires a standing takeoff, that's simply a burden the passengers are gonna have to bear. Or maybe we can taxi back to the gate to deboard a few of them and reduce weight, and that would ease their nerves?

Spooling the engines before you're aligned is poor technique because it puts you into an unnecessary corner where now you're limited by time to finish aligning, and if you take too long the plane will be rolling too fast before you're aligned, while if you do it too quickly you might not align at all. In mild cases it's annoying and unprofessional to give it like that to the FO, and in extreme cases worse than that (I remember once having to quickly stomp on the rudder as it was pointed off into the grass, and I realized he had given it to me like that and with the throttles mostly forward, without having briefed that. I quickly swung the nose over and continued the takeoff, but the right action would have been to abort and have a talk about it on the taxiway.)

Here's an example of "rolling too fast before you're aligned:"

Now you might be able to consistently ride the Goldilocks zone and always manage to get it so you finish aligning before too much speed builds up (and do it accurately), but why put yourself into that situation in the first place?

People need to stop doing everything at a breakneck pace trying to scrap for every 2 seconds they can save. It lowers your blood pressure and fosters a cockpit environment conducive to thoroughness. (I'm talking more generally now than just this particular bit of flying)