PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The First UK Independent Defence Authority
Old 9th Dec 2020, 00:12
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BMe
From my personal experiences, Veterans are missing a vital and important support mechanism. Politics aside, we all want the same thing, better support for those currently serving and Veterans alike?

The Office for Veteran Affairs(OVA) is driven by politics (Johnny Mercer MP), the Independent Defence Authority(IDA) will be driven by the very people who have experienced the 'system' first hand. It does not consume money, they do not pay those who work within. The rule-book is simply to use the regulations written by the MoD and to hold them to those very same high standards. A check-sum if you will....(These include the AFCS, War Pension scheme, Service Complaint Process and also the role of the MoD in setting rules, assessing performance and then reporting on it.)

The UK has over 1500+ charities who provide some type of support to our Veterans. They do amazing work, which should be applauded, recognised and rewarded.(The IDA will also provide the 'good news' from the MoD, as well as the bad.) My opinion, for what its worth...we have some amazing people, all sitting in the same space, trying as best they can to help those who need it; but their efforts can lead to duplication of effort, repetition and confusion for those who are seeking help. The IDA will act to measure, assess and report direct to Government on the ability of the systems already in-place to help the most vulnerable in our community. The 'glue' that binds our efforts, as well as being the conscience that holds our seniors to account. A virtuous circle of benefit to all. As the IDA starts to measure how the sector is functioning, it will naturally improve the services provided, in turn we save Defence money (in the highly stressed People area), resulting in overall better treatment for our People and more money for Equipment.

I think this is a streak of brilliance from Graham House, a vision that once established, will transform the 'lot' for those who serve and those who need help after leaving the military. In a way, I am glad that some are sceptics, that means that they care about this subject, they are willing to give their opinion, they are exactly the type of people the IDA needs to drive forward change. Who are the IDA, they already include 18yo Phase 1 recruits up to 4* level and cross-party MP support. Plus 100's of others who provide the narrative for change...
This new "authority" has no mandate, no legal basis and no authority. This reeks of people who have an axe to grind and/or can see a quick buck down the line.

Having well meaning people getting involved in matters that dont concern them often ends in more harm than good.

I am currently serving, I have had injustices and gripes, but I would never try and get a toothless tiger to advocate for me. This is how things get laughed out and ridiculed for lack of credibility.

Let us all know what your verifiable success rate is for any cases you take on....