PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Primary flying training duration
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2020, 17:37
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
madhon,

I think, as there were RN folk alongside me at various times in my training;

Aircrew selection - OASC RAF Biggin Hill.

Navy officer type selection- Admiralty interview Board somewhere in the West Country.

Officer Training - BRNC Dartmouth, which included some Chipmunk grading hours at Plymouth.

Primary, or later Elementary flying training - RAF Church Fenton or Linton On Ouse at various times on Chipmunk.

Basic Flying Training - RAF Linton On Ouse or Church Fenton at various times on Jet Provost.

Advanced Flying Training - Until 1969 at RNAS Brawdy on Hunter T8 and GA11. Then Hunter weapons at RNAS Lossiemouth.

Type conversion - RNAS Yeovilton for Sea Vixen or Phantom, RNAS Lossiemouth for Buccaneer.

All changed from 1968 onwards when the phase out of RN fixed wing flying was announced and Brawdy, and eventually Lossiemouth, closed as RN stations. After that increasing percentages of fixed wing aircrew for the Buccaneer and Phantom were provided by the RAF, and the RN only took potential helicopter pilots. Phantom and Buccaneer conversion work transferred to the RAF at Honington and Leuchars alongside the last two operational squadrons.