PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2020 / 2021 HeliOps Calendar Giveaway - With a Twist
Old 8th Dec 2020, 10:13
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Ned,
so lets go for the calendar(s) ;-)
2020 - what a year. With all the bad vibes I actually had to make a decision.
If I wanted to catch a chance to get promoted (with some bucks more in the pocket - especially when I retire in a couple of years) - I needed to apply to a desktop-job.
On the pro side were more money, getting out of shift work, something new to do
on the con side - less flying (only jumping in if one of the pilots gets sick), 10 hrs working days with a 140 km travel (one way) which means leaving home at 5 am and returning about 6:30 / 7 pm.
Well, I took the chance, "won" in the competition and got the job.
Now it is my turn to coordinate the missions, check with the mechanics, when I can have which helicopter for which time period, checking fuel bills, doing statistics, and so on.
Instead of helicopter displays I now have two computers with four monitors and a big TV with a status board in front of me.
Little and bigger problems, flight crew do know nothing about, have to be solved....
Surprisingly for me, even with the long days, I am feeling much better now, getting sleep every night ;-)
Also some of the back and neck pain I had disappeared...
Funny enough, with moving to the "chair force" with a check ride I could convert my CHPL to ATPL ;-)
So all in all not such a bad year for me.
Greetings to the other side of the plant
Udo "Flying Bull"