PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - take off rev hold
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2020, 06:15
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chris lz
Circumstance: date Jan 1996, TWA 767-200

I am trying to see if anyone can shed light on my memory, which could be all off as it is now very vague, and 25 years ago. It was I believe a somewhat wet or foggy evening at Logan Airport. The pilot announced he would be using a different take off technique than usual. I'm not sure but my memory is he was going to rev the engines to the maximum planned take off thrust before releasing the brakes. I can't remember what the reason was except something to do with either fog or wet runway. Could this make sense?

Thanks
It's going to depend on the aircraft/engine type but in addition to any runway length considerations given the weather you describe engine anti-ice/de-ice might also have been another factor at a guess..

"Icing conditions" can exists at above zero celsius if visible moisture such as fog is present or there is water on the ground - you don't actually need ice/snow on the ground for it to be a consideration.

In icing conditions on many types there is a requirement to have the engines spooled to a high power setting with the aircraft stationary at regular mandated minimum intervals as you taxi-out, and the last run up might have to be done on the runway if it's due, and also on some types in any event in icing conditions there's a requirement to always have a run up before brake release.

Whatever the reason, icing, weight, or both telling the passengers over the PA it's being done because the aircraft is heavy is a good simple cover all.

Last edited by wiggy; 8th Dec 2020 at 06:26.