PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2020, 08:52
unexplained blip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boeinga320
By stupid behaviours, is that like going out? Or something more specific? I'm not being facetious, genuinely curious what we will deem to be reckless. Imagine no more partying or traveling or seeing mates.
boeinga320, I truly can't comprehend why people under (say) 30 are putting up with this, and as far as I can tell, it is not destined to get better any time soon. I don't have any insight into South African strategy (where you seem to be from, a/c username data), but UK vax strategy is public and Australian will follow fairly soon. UK vax policy is all about avoiding mortality - URL is too long to post, google for "Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation: advice on priority groups for COVID-19 vaccination". NOTHING in that paper talks about needs and aspirations of age cohorts who have little to be concerned about when it comes to COVID (except passing it on to their oldies or unusually vulnerable friends). There is NOTHING in the reasoning for prioritization about restoring normality, enjoyment, freedom, etc for say under 30's. Does not rate a mention. The Australian 2021 vax program is predicated on X million doses (X / 2 million vax, @ 2x dose per person, where I can't say what X is due confidentiality, but it is way south of 26.5), with anything beyond that being good fortune. Present indications are that it's near-identical to UK policy.

Turns out (according to model based analyses) that if the objective was to reduce the size and duration of outbreaks, so that we could relax social distancing and give maximum social freedom, then we'd concentrate on vaccinating the people in high-contact professions immediately after covering the healthcare and critical professions like firefighters and defence personnel. But nup, after healthcare they're working their way down the age curve, oldies first - despite the fact that the elderly spread the virus less (they are more commonly "sinks" in the social networks) compared to taxi drivers, people in retail, etc etc. Basically every vax given to an oldie just protects them, there is no (disease spread( spinoff benefit for society more broadly.

I fear that Dec 2021 could still look a lot like Dec 2020 for much of the world's younger generations, and FWIW, they have my blessing to act up about this.

We should have seen so much more innovation around maintaining normality and enjoyment for the under-30s during the COVID period. But when doctors are put in charge, alongside mainly married-with-children middle aged+ pollies, that is just not on the radar.