PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judge Bans F-15s from Urban Training in Idaho
Old 7th Dec 2020, 00:54
megan

Received 393 Likes on 208 Posts
How long have those seven people complaining lived there? Is this just another case of someone buying a home near a source of noise without doing due diligence, then bitching about the noise?
It's an odd thing about airports TD, they often as not were originally built in the boondocks and over the years found themselves surrounded by residential communities brought about by greedy developers and lack of zoning by the authorities. That may in part have been influence by the folk who worked at the airport and wanting to reside close to work, subsequent purchasers just didn't do their homework. It seems odd that I don't hear complaints about railways from the noise adverse, having lived near one as a lad I know how noisy they can be, not that it worried me or anyone I knew. One such airport that was in isolated countryside came to the attention of developers with an open day advertised for a Saturday. Being a military ab initio jet training base the CO issued instructions that all students and instructors were to report for duty on the day and do nothing except circuit training. At first, before they found out the reason, studs/instructors were perplexed because they never worked weekends.

With the F-15 not coming below 10,000 I really don't think noise would be an issue. I live one kilometer from the local threshold with F-15, F-16, F-18, Rafael, SU-30, Gripen, MV-22 depending on the time of year, and a panoply of airline, GA and military transports passing by, jet in afterburner interrupts the TV for a short time, but so what, the wife on the other hand, could it not last longer? No curfew either, though the fighters don't operate at unreasonable hours, nor an anti airport group campaigning, perhaps the community has memories of having more ordinance dropped on it than Pearl Harbor, and being the gateway for the countries first international flight.