PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Primary flying training duration
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2020, 10:43
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jumpseater
70's Training
An interesting exchange on another corner of the interweb got me wondering about RAF Pilot/Officer training in the early 70's and wondered if anyone could throw a little light on it. Its context is potentially a bit 'Waltish'. The nature of the discussion is that he's implying he was an RAF Pilot, no mention of his snowdrop service.
The chap says he 'Got his wings' many decades ago. A quick look at web links of his indicate rank Flt Lt, Pilot Training 72-76 and then RAF Provost branch 76 to career end. Uni 65-68. Data from his online public accessible profiles.
s that appears an unusual (to my limited knowledge), what was the training sylabus?
On entry from civvy street how long would the basic officer training have taken, and at what part in that would he start flying and accruing hours? Allowing for initial entry training is there sufficient time to receive his wings within that 3-4 years before joining the rozzers? Intrigued by the branch change too, however....
What in simple terms does that phrase mean? Once you have your wings what would be the next steps? Why would you rebranch to Provost rather than a flying associated department? I have no doubt he could well have been accepted for Pilot officer aircrew training.
Ta in advance..
At that time Initial Officer Training (IOT) was 16 weeks for direct entry cadets. For those who were University Cadets it was 14 weeks because there was a two week University Cadet Introductory Course prior to starting with the UAS. Basic flying training (Jet Provost) commenced on completion of IOT and 'Wings' were awarded at the end of Basic Flying Training. There was often little or no holding between courses back then and so wings were awarded some 15 - 18 months after starting IOT. This changed around 1977/78 to wings being awarded at the end of Advanced Flying Training but even then it was typically around 2 to 2 1/2 years from starting IOT to being awarded your wings.

I agree that his career path sounds unusual, and if someone spent 4 years as a pilot then changed branch it could be that they were medically downgraded or did not satisfactorily complete flying training. But there could be another reason.