PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New initiative from EasyJet to incentivise passengers.
Old 6th Dec 2020, 09:58
ATNotts

Received 327 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by stb155
How is that even allowed from an safety point of view ?

Motivating passengers to clogg up the cabing with their luggage any more that absolutely necessary is insane.

Empty overhead bins, where stuff would be out of the way and secure.Instead have clogged up floors, just to make (or because of saving) a few $.

On high density seating, with swim wests under seat, there is hardly enough room for just you legs and feet.
Putting anything on the floor that could be stowed elsewhere is an unnecessary obstacle in case of evacuation.

Maybe COVID wil drag on long enough for that whole loco bunch to go away for good.
I agree completely. Not on a low cost carrier, but using Swiss out for Nürnberg to Zürich on a full RJ100 I was sat down the back, all around me passengers were stuffing the (small) overhead bins with bags, then cluttering the floor, I was seriously very concerned as to how I and my fellow travellers, both with and without excess carry on luggage were going to escape were required to do so in an emergency landing or abandoned take off.

Ever since then I have thought that it will only take a fatal accident where the numbers of dead and injured were exacerbated by difficulties evacuating do to excess bags in the cabin to really give the industry a jolt and make a return to some sort of sanity regarding carry on luggage. It shouldn't need to come to this, and with EasyJet making this move, and the potential for other carriers to follow, hopefully the unnecessary fatalities may never happen.