PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2020 / 2021 HeliOps Calendar Giveaway - With a Twist
Old 6th Dec 2020, 04:57
Old Farang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Ned:
Unlike Megan I need a calendar to actually know which day it is! I am well and truly retired now and also widowed, so need any mental stimulation that I can get.

Here in Thailand I believe that we have been very fortunate in regards to the virus. At the start a very strict lockdown was enforced, along with "social distancing" and internal travel bans.
The biggest impact has been on those that struggle to exist at the best of times. Thousands out of work in many sectors of the population, particularly any that depend on tourists for a living.
My adult daughter was laid off from her long term management job at a hotel because of the lack of tourists, as an example.

For me I suppose that the biggest problem has not being able to return to Australia, even for a short visit. Internal travel restrictions have now been relaxed, so that part is pretty much back to normal. Local shopping was initially affected for a short period and a shortage of some imported products is ongoing, but basic food supplies are ample.

There is no local helicopter industry here as we know it, and most of the offshore pilots are now nationals, so rotation jobs probably no longer exist. The Government training school is still in operation, but I no longer have anything to do with it. The last time that I was there they had more bent and time expired helicopters in the hangar than were online!

Merry Christmas to all.