PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible? A modern VC 10
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2020, 22:13
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pax britanica
e
Thnaks for your info on how Airbus is treated nationally , on that basis it doesn't surprise me that we are second since as you say we make some very major elements (components isnt a BIg enough word when we are talkign about wings etc) and all those A320 series add up to lots and although SNECMA -is that right partner with the US on some aricraft I am surre RR is bigger overall.
Problem is can we keep it that way. As it stands dear Boris is willing to risk throwing it all away for 12,000 fisherfolk .

Will AB stay in Uk after 2021 of course they will for a while , which leads me to ask where A350 wings are made, but supply probs additional costs and bureaucracy (recreating a UK airworthiness authority seems to me one of the most pointless things ever done. The world sees aviation regulation as US EU and perhaps China , no place for us at all .

[..]
You've covered a lot of ground, even in the two paragraphs I've quoted. I'll give it a try, in the order of your asking:

If you were asking about the conventionally-engined A320 family,as opposed to the neo variants, the CFM56 option is Franco-American (SNECMA/GE) and the IAE V2500 is American-British-Japanese-German (P&W/RR/JAEC/MTU). (FWIW, I preferred the CFM56.) The A320neo (new-engine option) also offers two engines: the CFM LEAP (very high-bypass turbofan) and a P&W geared turbofan.

Re Brexit, don't forget that Concorde, Jaguar and Airbus A300B all flew before the UK joined the EEC.

All Airbus wings are made in the UK, mainly at Broughton, Wales; the A400M wings at Filton, Bristol.

I don't know what plans the UK has for licensing and certification post-Brexit (maybe others will comment), but EASA is a relatively new organisation. The UK ARB, later merged into the CAA, was a world leader in the certification of airliners until 1987. Subsequently, it had an input to the JAA and currently the EASA. So we'll see.