PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible? A modern VC 10
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2020, 17:07
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
e
Thnaks for your info on how Airbus is treated nationally , on that basis it doesn't surprise me that we are second since as you say we make some very major elements (components isnt a BIg enough word when we are talkign about wings etc) and all those A320 series add up to lots and although SNECMA -is that right partner with the US on some aricraft I am surre RR is bigger overall.
Problem is can we keep it that way. As it stands dear Boris is willing to risk throwing it all away for 12,000 fisherfolk .

Will AB stay in Uk after 2021 of course they will for a while , which leads me to ask where A350 wings are made, but supply probs additional costs and bureaucracy (recreating a UK airworthiness authority seems to me one of the most pointless things ever done. The world sees aviation regulation as US EU and perhaps China , no place for us at all .

We dont have much in the way of technology in Uk , one can hardly compare Mr Ds Malaysian vacuum cleaners with the German car industry can we, so we badly need to hang on to what we have and if Brexit increases cost how much will it cost for Ab to dangle More money, the southern France life style and an Eu passport in front of a few hundred critical skill people in Bristol and Cheshire and UK aviation goes the way of UK cars -that would be tragic. Some on this thread made the point that who in their right mind was talking 'Empire Routes' re the VC10 in the late 50s early 60s. Well the answer is people like Boris, Rees-Mogg and Duncan-Smith and they are still thinking that way 70 years later.

To revert to nostalgia though the 50s/60s was a wonderful time to be an Aviation enthusiast with so many new designs and so many contrasting aircraft types whereas today experience , computer modelling and cost driven design means that all airliners look the same , some are just bigger than others.

A bit of a thread drift but noise ahs featured a lot in this thread and for modern aircraft the most unusual seems to be the A400 with tis distinctively different and more musical note than the veteran Ruskies and equally veteran but updated Hercs -I assume its all those odd shaped blades the props sport.