PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I Love Being an Aircraft Engineer
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2020, 12:46
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I approach 50 years in aviation, being 3rd generation aviation and with 3 sons in aviation, it would be fair to say that aviation is in my family genes. Coming to the end of my career, I can look back with a smile on my face and feel extremely fortunate to have a vocation that I enjoy and has given me so many opportunities.

To have travelled extensively, to be pushed to the limits of your capability often in adverse conditions is what I have enjoyed the most. To be paid well for a job that you enjoy is a rare commodity and I am grateful to aviation to have provide me that opportunity. Aviation has more than its fair share of ‘good’ people. There are the ‘not so good’ as well, but they are in the minority. To be part of the camaraderie, teamwork and the ‘let’s get it done’ approach is great, and when you work with others of a similar mind, it is infectious and ‘yes’ you can move mountains.

The first aircraft I worked on was a Bristol Britannia and I am now involved with aircraft such as B787, NEO, MAX. An incredible advance in technology during my time in aviation. To those coming into the industry now you have such exciting times ahead. I envy you, but at the same time realise that it is time to step aside and pass the baton on to you.

Aviation is a vocation, it is not for people who think it is ‘just a job’.

To those starting their career in aviation:
1. Enjoy every minute
2. Avoid negative people
3. Every day is a school day, you will never stop learning
4. Never be frightened to ask questions
5. Take full advantage of every opportunity offered to you
6. Enjoy every minute (I know that I have said that twice)

Temps

Last edited by Tempsford; 5th Dec 2020 at 12:56.