PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 5th Dec 2020, 09:55
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
The more we hand fly and use raw data without the FD, the less rusty our hand-eye coordination will be and the better our instrument scan.

Incidences such as SFO 777, several over-pitches and other very very basic mistakes during go-arounds, and some other fatal crashes, could have all have been prevented had the pilots "looked through" the automatics at the basic pitch, bank and speed.

But we should chose suitable times to practise. Am I going to hand-fly down from FL410 to a busy Gatwick morning after crossing the Atlantic during the WOCL? No - I will probably only hand-fly the last 7 miles. But should I practise hand-flying and/or raw data when it is appropriate? Yes !

(For my BAe146 line check years ago, I had to fly holds in three different locations during a very busy Gatwick morning - no auto available on that jet - so all flown with AP on HDG, (no A/Thr), and raw data with me working out the joins and drift headings in my head. Why did it have to be a line check !)