PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New CAA PPL theory exams online and practise apps
Old 5th Dec 2020, 06:38
Paul Agan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
I'm sorry to hear that.

To be blunt, you obviously don't. You haven't stated which text books that you have used to study, if any, you have only mentioned the exam practice stuff that you have used. md 600 driver is quite correct to say know your subject. Most exam prep books/software simply require you to demonstrate that you remember in a simple way what you have read. Although the actual exams do have straightforward questions for equally straightforward answers, there will be a number that will require a practical understanding. The provided choice of answers will often be i) completely wrong ii) partially correct only iii) wrong but very appealing (usually the longest answer) and iv) the correct answer. If you rely too much on question and answer books you can easily fall victim of 'find the lady' a card game which is hosted by con men.

The real answer = read the relevant manual for the subject and understand it. I would also recommend an hour or two with an instructor.
I have used the AFE Books to study the material and used AFE practise books for this particular subject. I have managed to answer all the questions which were after the each chapter study book and I have managed to pass all the practise exams on AFE practise books. Which would mean that I understand and I know the subject? right? I had a ground school session with instructor as well. However on the actual exam I found that the questions were way more complex that the ones in practice books or study books, which in my opinion - in that case the study material revision questions might give a person a false feeling that subject is learned and understood correctly. Because you would expect that the study material difficulty and complexity level would match the real exam level?
This is my point of view as a student , perhaps from the instructor point of view the new exams are different scenario. I don't know.
I feel that for some reason my topic has little backfired on me. As lots of people have perception that I just want to learn the answers and have an easy ride of the exam, but it is quite opposite. I don't want to learn the answers to only pass exams or have an easy ride through the training. I want to learn the subject in depth and have a clear understanding of the topics, but how other way to find out if the study material and questions doesn't match the level of exam? That's all and I was hoping to see if there are any other people who feel that way. Hope all this makes sense.