PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 4th Dec 2020, 23:37
knobbycobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddrwk
I agree with this. Yeah the money was good but the last 8 months or so of stand down has shown me that there’s more to life than flying.

I think for many this has caused a reassessment of what is important in life. Is the cash and love of flying enough to offset the jet lag, time away from family etc?

Im sure some industrial types over at QF (and probably other airlines) will be assuming that pilots will now be scared of losing their jobs for good and this will make them more tame industrially.

I believe the opposite is probably true: this period has demonstrated that if the worst happens and the flying job goes away, we’ll still survive, and there may in fact be benefits to a career outside of flying.
I agree. What I keep hearing from crew who are on long term unpaid stand down from Qantas. Many of those have given up on Qantas and wisely moved on and thrown themselves into something new. Found a new challenge where they are appreciated. Some are even studying interesting areas like medicine, law or finance or getting a trade or starting a business. I even heard one SO who’s started a business and was on the evening radio on 2GB interviewed about his new venture.
The wife or partner is happier with them home. The kids are happier too. They will have Christmas and Easter at home. Birthdays and special events. Can tell friends and mates with confidence they can come to that event or wedding.
The pay used to be good but it is constantly getting worse. No one will be getting the hours they used to.
Nothing but RINs, demotions and other entities taking flying to look forward to. Constantly being attacked. Not worth wasting effort and energy on sinking ships. Majority of pilots are capable and trustworthy people.
Other businesses see the value and are appreciative of the skills and experience. Not being despised and ridiculed in the media has a value. Losing sleep flying all night, jetlag,lingering fatigue and instability and days or weeks away from family and friends has a price.
Covid Is a great opportunity to move on and secure a better and more stable future. No stand downs, RINs, demotions, pay cuts, longer hours, worse rosters, days away, sims put on days off! EBAs getting worse and worse.
Divert the company emails to another folder. Tune out of the webinars. Focus on what serves you and will help you and your family’s future. It’s not flying. If your stood down then let it go mentally. This came from a Qantas appointed psychologist. Maybe If it comes back then consider options then. May be many years away.
Get into a position that when Alan threatens pilots again or belittles them in the media that you don’t need to care. It might take some time but I know lots of people slowly building a way they can walk away from flying or only come back at half rosters at most.
For the SOs and FOs I think this is really important. Something like Covid will happen again or worse and you need to be prepared.
Good saying that someone is only sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Time to plant trees away from flying.

Last edited by knobbycobby; 4th Dec 2020 at 23:39. Reason: Spelling