PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Crosswind crabbed Landing stuffed up.
Old 4th Dec 2020, 14:24
OhNoCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think things like this might get worse with newer pilots/captains before they get better. Each but one company I have worked for has imposed crosswind limits on first officers. One company lifted the restriction upon becoming SFO whilst the other retained it indefinitely.

Two problems from here then. The second company that retained it indefinitely meant that the first time that pilots skill was ever called upon was when they were brand new in the left seat. Not good. The other company that lifted the restriction for SFO's.... well that is good in theory, except that it was heavily suggested to the skippers that they should be very careful about who is doing what, and was it sensible to have the 1500 hour pilot landing in max xwind when there was a 15000 hour pilot beside them? From a pilot development point of view it's great, from a liability point of view it is not so great.

The company I am currently in does throw these into the sim from time to time, with the focus aimed at development/training for FO's, but I personally think even in a level D sim, it doesnt give the best representation of reality.