PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lateral control at Stall
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 19:50
David J Pilkington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
Present civilian teaching (at least the EASA CPL skill test and FAA CP checkride) does not take the aeroplane to the stall at-all, it is recovery at stall warning.
The PPL is supposed to include a stall, but ......
In Australia, CASA increased the suite of stall exercises plus various entries to incipient spins with their new Part 61 rules in 2014. Eventually saw that was not appropriate and issued Advisory Circular AC61-16 Spin avoidance and stall recovery training earlier this year. The Part 61 rules are yet to be amended. CASA's Flight Instructor Manual still as it was aeons ago with "full power is applied at the commencement of recovery", hopefully to be changed before long.

Yesterday I encountered a flight instructor who told me that the recovery from a stall in a climbing turn would require full rudder against the expected wing drop. I can't retire just yet.

Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
(For completeness, it should be said that the instructor course both sides of the Atlantic does include demonstration of the spin, but no more than that, and surreally without any of the usual precautions - such as a parachute - that would be required for all other flying; the FAA has a specific exemption that parachutes need not be worn for spinning for instructor courses only. I freely admit to finding that a classic triumph of expediency over good practice.)

G
Australian flight instructors require an upright spin endorsement as a prerequisite. We generally don't use parachutes for basic spin and aerobatic training here.