PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lateral control at Stall
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 10:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Present civilian teaching (at least the EASA CPL skill test and FAA CP checkride) does not take the aeroplane to the stall at-all, it is recovery at stall warning.

The PPL is supposed to include a stall, but when instructors have been trained for their CPLs not to ever take the aeroplane past stall warning, there is a clear direction of travel there.

Personally I am content seeing the spin left as theory only for the PPL, but when the CPL doesn't even include an aerodynamic stall, let alone a spin, there's stuff going on there with which I'm personally far from happy. (For completeness, it should be said that the instructor course both sides of the Atlantic does include demonstration of the spin, but no more than that, and surreally without any of the usual precautions - such as a parachute - that would be required for all other flying; the FAA has a specific exemption that parachutes need not be worn for spinning for instructor courses only. I freely admit to finding that a classic triumph of expediency over good practice.)

G