PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Name that Flying Machine
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 09:41
sycamore

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
SLB, I used to fly /display aircraft of the Shuttleworth Collection between 1974-2000 and flew a lot of aircraft of the Collection,but not all,but I did fly the Bristol Boxkite and the Avro Triplane..It would take me from now to Christmas to `write it up`,as I am only competent at 1-finger typing,however ,there is/was a book written`From Bleriot to Spitfire`,which describes the aircraft characteristics in great detail by Neil Williams...It may be still on sale direct from the SC,or by the `riverside`place...Xmas present...? or maybe someone on here could copy+paste it here...To give a flavour,imagine you really are in a `Fauteil Volant` flying over the countryside at between 20 -45 knots........wind whistling up your trousers,flies in the teeth,deafened by having to run the engine,behind you at max RPM,holding on to a broomstick control column with 2 hands,with minimum lateral and longitudinal stability,marginal directional stability,knowing ,if the engine quits,if you look down between your knees,that will be where you are going to end up.......what a great way to enjoy a calm Summers evening...Great fun...!!!

If you watch a video of a modern `canard equipped` fighter on an approach,or manoeuvring ,you`ll notice the `canard` is working overtime,all by FBW and computers,probably 3,...we did that in the Boxkite.....!!just `by wires,and no computer.....

taken me 45 mins.to write that.....