PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 23:19
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point is though is some seem to like to assume that LCC's can just be told where they are being handled at an airport and will simply accept that.
You appear to be interpreting the situation as an attack on the integrity of EasyJet as a company. But nobody is suggesting doing anything without their explicit consent. The rumour which has gone around (which may or may not be true) featured the suggestion that EasyJet and Ryanair would be offered exclusive use of T1/T3 (possibly plus Wizz?) with no landing charges for four years. [Or is it actually departure charges at MAN?]. If that were to be true, then it is an outstandingly generous offer which EasyJet would be very wise to consider at a time when money is so tight. And it wouldn't even involve any upheaval: T1 is their home at MAN already (and it works just fine). I've not seen any hint that EasyJet would "be forced to settle for" anything which doesn't meet their expressed approval. But under the terms suggested by the rumour doing the rounds, perhaps a move to T2 would not be accompanied by the attractive financial concession attached to staying put in T1?

If EasyJet prefers to be seen as a prestige carrier and wishes to prioritise this over keeping fixed costs as low as possible, then that is their call. But I would suggest that their recent announcement re baggage policy aligns them firmly alongside Ryanair and Wizzair in the budget no-frills niche. My guess is that they would go with low costs, but maybe you know better? Either way, their MAN operation will do just fine in the familiar T1 environment. Plenty of retail, plenty of catering options, and whilst no showpiece an acceptably functional environment for the task at hand. It works.