PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible? A modern VC 10
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 18:52
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was on the last VC10 flight from Heathrow on 30th March 1981. It was a LHR - LHR charter and cost me £32, as I recall. We assembled in Tech Block 'A' and were seen off by a liveried silver band. We got on board in the maintenance area and taxi'd live across the Eastchurch Crossing. I don't think many people can say they've done that! We then routed up to Manchester for a low approach and go-around, then up to Prestwick for the same, followed by a steep turn around Ailsa Craig (looked like a jewel set on a cushion) then a (very!) low pass at about 250kt back along the Prestwick runway. We then climbed to height over the Irish Sea for lunch before another low pass at Bristol - (Filton, not the one up the hill), where Brian Trubshaw was apparently in the Tower. He had been the test pilot on the prototype. Then back East, for a low pass at Weybridge, the aircraft's birthplace, but the crew demurred to do that one, the vis wasn't great and they didn't fancy 'plunging about the North Surrey countryside at 200kt, looking for the place'. Can't say I blame them. Then back to London Airport (beware imitations). Definitely the most comfortable transport aircraft I've ever flown in, though hopelessly un-economic, sadly.
You're right, there's a lot of old people on this thread!

TOO