PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 11:23
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact that I omitted the pitch part does not change the length by which you have to move the thrust levers, which is my point : it is too short.
Originally Posted by vilas
There are two aspects to discussions, one share knowledge, individual techniques and experiences, the second is idle lament. When the industry is moving towards automated flights with least human presence I think better raw data flying tools is the last thing on their mind. There are more import things required but it's not on cards. B Max needed immediate fix they didn't do it till two crashes. B777 SFO FAA asked them to have look at the throttle hold function they aren't planning to do anything. They also have two different GA procedures one normal and another after touchdown (Emirates Dubai crash) they haven't any plans to change(personally I don't blame Boeing but hold pilots responsible for them). So wake me up when they design better raw data instrument.
It can be lament, but if you start sending it to the engineers that work across the telephone or email, it becomes customer feedback.

The point of this discussion is to debate the topic and try to find out if it could be beneficial to change a few things here and there.
If you base your answers on the fact that airbus would probably say no to any modification, even if it was asked by several airlines all agreeing on one subject, then yes the discussion becomes useless.
But if you try to ignore this (plausible) possibility, you can have a very interesting discussion like we're all having since the start of this topic.

The customer feedback is to point out the discrepancy between two discourses : there are more and more crashes related to lack of manual flying skill, or reluctance to try and put them into practise, or lack of skill in monitoring the correct behavior of the automation controling the most basic aircraft trajectory... All these could be tackled with higher practise of manual flying, but the aircraft are designed to keep the pilot more and more out of the loop.
As long as automation will sometimes fail, and as long as pilots are needed, this seems counterproductive.

It is also not lament if you propose potential solutions.
For the above mentionned problem, I would suggest adding a thrust figure on the PFD, much closer to the pilot's usual visual circuit. One N1 figure per engine, or one average figure for both engines with abnormal colors to indicate a thrust asymmetry that should be corrected by looking at the EWD.