PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet-6
Thread: EasyJet-6
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2020, 20:19
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
racedo - I agree that Easyjet seek to make maximum profit. However, do Easyjet have the pricing power in the market to effectively raise the cost of flying by increasing the cost of luggage items which are larger than a small rucksack ? Or is competition with Ryanair forcing them to lower the headline "basic bum on seat and nothing else" fare while moving more of the revenue into ancillaries ? While I'm quite happy to fly with just a small rucksack that fits under a seat, many pax will want a larger piece of luggage (Mrs Johnson definitely won't stay overnight without her make-up bag) so we really have a disguised fare increase. Some pax will pay - but I'm still wondering if Easyjet really have this control over the market that you seem to suggest. I imagine that Easyjet are doing this now so that it's not really noticed but will take effect for booking done over the Xmas period when people aren't working and are thinking about whether to go away in spring/summer 2021, by which time vaccines will likely be readily available to the elderly/vulnerable and (airlines hope) demand for cross-border leisure travel returns

Partly related, I'm thinking also of the previous "booking transaction fee" that Easyjet used to charge - about £15 per booking, whether it was for one person flying one sector, or a large group flying multiple sectors - which Easyjet eventually abandoned, presumably because rivals didn't use this as a pricing model