PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 15:02
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
not required in airbus, just look at the gauge and move the doughnuts to the requirement thrust will catch-up.
This doesn’t solve the problem that walking the throttles solves. The problem is of a physical nature, when you want to make a very small and precise movement but can’t due to a rough friction nut or what have you. The solution is to change the lever arm from originating at your shoulder, (a few feet) to originating at the non-moving throttle, which acts as an anchor. The much shorter lever arm allows for the precise input needed. (Just think, can you better manipulate a light switch with a yardstick, or your finger directly?) Make a tiny movement, then the moved throttle becomes the anchor for you to move the previously fixed one, repeat.

I do this all the time in a modern FADEC jet even with smooth throttle friction in cruise, to adjust the N1 by a few tenths of a %. And I think sometimes in taxi, to increase the thrust in very small amounts above my initial “yay much” if the plane isn’t moving enough.

Last edited by Vessbot; 1st Dec 2020 at 15:14.