PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 14:45
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
vessbot, we aren't much in disagreement. But about the above sentence, perhaps the only thing the crew(in both the cases) was doing was keeping the aircraft on the correct descent path without the necessary thrust, manual or auto immaterial. That's why the speed was dropping.
Somewhat true for Asiana, who was within a fuselage length of pavement, but not even close for Indian, who was 2300 feet short (or 3300 from aimpoint, that’s over half a mile.) Dropping airspeed pays for some amount of flight path, but not necessarily all of it; Indian was low on both.

And when Airbus crew at 400ft realised the wrong mode the only solution was to try another time.
Fully agreed, a go around was the only sensible choice at that point. I meant “fly the plane” generically to include whatever the correct flight is, I didn’t mean it to press on (and I see how I could have come across that way, especially with previous examples)