PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 14:27
Uplinker

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts
Hi vilas, and safetypee no not really; my suggestion of a logarithmic or expanded centre scale instrument - like the V/S - is simply a different presentation of raw data. It is not a FD - it will not tell you which way to point the aircraft, nor is it automation in the sense we are using it in this thread.
A machmeter for example does internal calculations and presents a reading, but we would not call a machmeter "automation". Our IAS readout arithmetically subtracts static pressure from pitot pressure but that is not what we mean here by "automation", it is still raw data.

In my example of a PA28, the instrumentation makes it a difficult job to track an NDB accurately and consistently. If all the information were superimposed onto one instrument, it becomes very easy. Still raw data, just presented better.

A flight director tells you which way to point the airplane to centre the raw data needles. With raw data alone you have to be able to work it out by yourself. The current ILS displays make it hard to notice initial deviations - especially if one is hand-flying as well. Kaypam suggests a trend arrow, which would require some computer processing, but even that is not a flight director. (Note: He is not suggesting the arrow points which way to roll to correct the deviation, it indicates the trend of the marker movement; the rate and direction of change of the marker and so makes the raw data easier for the pilot to see and assimilate).

The thrust levers - I am talking about a method to physically move thrust levers by small, precise amounts - in any aircraft - for example increasing N1 from 53% to 55%, or to 'null out' the speed trend arrow: just tiny increments. I think vilas is talking about matching the doughnuts to the present thrust setting before disconnecting the A/THR - a completely different subject.

Last edited by Uplinker; 1st Dec 2020 at 14:40.