PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the best route to be a commercial airline pilot?
Old 7th Dec 2003, 03:20
Chuffer Chadley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome aboard, Pooey my friend

Some issues:
Most of the responses to your posting will probably be along the lines of 'Read through old threads as the subject has been done enough alread'. Don't worry too much about that- after all, one doesn't know unless one has been told, eh?

My top tips:

1) Finish your degree. Whatever it is, it won't really matter. Computer stuff is a good one. Nice numerical/technical subjects will help you in your studies, but it's not a huge deal. Just have an answer ready for when the interviewer asks why you didn't do aerodynamics or something. Pilot studies sounds like a funny sort of degree to me.

2) AFTER your degree re-asses the situation. If you were to be finishing education about now, then the CTC/Easy scheme would be your first point of call.

3) If the CTC or some similar sponsorship doesn't work out for you, then you need to fund your training (CPL/IR) yourself. Budget for around £35k, and 12-18months of time not working.

4) Before spending too much time/money/emotional energy, get a class 1 medical and do a bit of private flying. You never know, you may hate it, and that would save you quite a bit of money. You could start your PPL while at university if you're so inclined.

5) Watch these 'Wannabees' forums with some attention. Don't worry if you read without writing too much.

6) Have a chat with your local flying club/school. It may be full of people with useful tips and amusing stories. Or it may not.

Hope this helps.

Ciao for now.

PS: Medical- glasses do not necessarily rule you out- you'll have to get the chaps at Gatwick to have a look at you.