PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy TexanT6 crash fatal 10-23
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2020, 15:23
Ugly Jet Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will post when anything is made public. From the stand up of the squadron post incident I don't think there was anything that jumped out at the investigators as the aircraft in the squadron and across the system all returned to service without any restrictions or reinspections. I did hear that the subject aircraft had made an initial inbound call to the satellite field (Barin which is Navy use only) and were inbound. That would preclude any maneuvering or stall demonstrations as they were about 5 miles out and lining up for an overhead arrival in high key. I am sticking with something that upset the flight like a bird strike given the low altitude and almost immediate OCF and rapid loss of altitude.

One other thing noted to me was since this a had a free turbine the prop blades would stop on impact and not be driven to curl the blades on the prop as in a direct drive engine like a piston. It very well could be that these blades as pictured were not feathered, rather that is the pitch they were in and they did not display rotational damage due to being a free spooling turbine. That seems likely as the time to impact was so short from controlled flight and feathering the prop wouldn't be an expected reaction to a OCF.