PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett-Ana Viscount Accident Botany Bay Nov30 19611961
Old 30th Nov 2020, 13:10
boaccomet4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ansett-Ana Viscount Accident Botany Bay Nov30 19611961

On the evening of Nov30 1961 and Ansett-ANA Vickers Viscount (Fligth 325) crashed shortly after takeoff from Sydney-Canberra.
Aircraft was on lease from TAA and registered VH-TVC. Cause of accident attributed to the aircraft encountering severe turbulence and thunderstorm activity, loss of control due inflight failure of outer starboard wing, loss of starboard tailplane and part of the tailfin/rudder.
Aircraft not equipped with CVR/FDR nor weather radar. Also ATC not equipped with weather radar at that time.
The accident stands out for me because at the time my father had a factory at Botany and a couple of days later we actually drove past the beach where wreckage was being retrieved and my father demanded that I not look as the scene was somewhat gruesome.
Years later I met up with an ex Ansett-ANA air hostess who was flying for Ansett at the time and she explained that one of the air hostesses had expressed concerns/premonition that she would be involved in an accident.
Also learnt that one of the Air Traffic Controllers suffered emotionally as a result of both the accident and the subsequent inquiry,
Would be interested to hear from crew and ATC staff who were around at that time.
My research indicates that the installation of Weather Radar in both airliners and ATC centres were recommended after the inquiry..